Saturday, January 30, 2010

no_way!

so i've arrived in as, norway (pronounced oass) and it 's pretty good so far!

i have five roommates (two boys, three girls) and they were right when they said that
Norwegians are reserved! I'm slowly getting to know them and the Norwegian tv obsession
with Hell's Kitchen and The Biggest Loser!

Alot of people mistake me for American...which I am quick to correct them on - but they don't care. There's a pretty large hatred (maybe too strong a word?) for Americans here, so I don't want to be mistaken for one!

A few friends and I went into Oslo the other day and I really liked it! I needed to know that there was more to Norway than this little town- and there really is!

There is literally an H&M on every corner (its the Norwegian equivalent of Starbucks!)
and I obviously have ZERO problem with that.
I having bought anything yet because I'm nervous about spending too much money! I'm going to Helsinki in a couple weekends though - so I won't hold back there!

I also think that aside from the occasional duty free purchase... it's going to be a pretty dry semester. A 26 of liquor is equivalent of $40 CDN here! So I think I'll be relying on $5 tall cans
(yikes! muy caro!)

Here are some photos of the Oslo trip!

(i'm sorry this post is so sporratic...I'm supposed to be reading up on the anthropology of development!)

See you next time!
x.















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

who'd you do the exchange through? what school/program?

hayley b. said...

i did it through the university of guelph (my school) and i'm at the university of life sciences in norway.

it's a bilateral exchange organized through the schools.

are you thinking of doing one?

Anonymous said...

bilateral meaning..that person lives at your house and you live at their house?

im at carleton, i gotta see what my options are!

was it super expensive? is it totally worth it? blog about it!